To Make Your Backcountry Primitive Island Camping Reservations, Please follow the directions below:
- Visit http://www.recreation.gov/ or Call 877-444-6777
- You MUST create an account to make your reservations by clicking Signup in the upper right hand corner on the webpage.
- Search Canaveral National Seashore Permits, FL within the search box.
- Please read ALL of the information under the PERMIT AREA DETAILS tab as it is imperative that you do so.
- Under Find Permits, Please select, Backcountry Camping
- Select your Entrance (campsite) or select Any Entrance to view all campsite availabilities
- Choose your Start Date of Stay
- Enter your Length of Stay
- Click the Search button
- Continue following all the prompts on the webpage
Know Before You Go
- Canoe rentals are available (weather permitting) for campsites #1-#5 only. Canoe rentals are $25 per night and available to individuals 18 years and older. Canoe capacity is two adults per canoe, plus gear. For canoe rentals, please inquire at the Apollo Beach Visitor Center or call (386) 428-3384 ext.0 for more information.
- Plan your trip in advance with special attention to travel routes along the waterways and weather forecasts. Some waterways are very shallow.
- Be sure your vessel is fueled, equipped for emergencies, and that all passengers are issued the appropriate personal flotation devices.
- Always share your intended itinerary with a friend or family other than those in your party.
- Practice "Leave-No-Trace."
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle.
- We recommend having a cell phone at your disposal while camping in the park. Emergencies should be reported by dialing 911.
- Biodegradable toilet paper is available for $1.00 at the fee booth at the entrance to the park.
- Insect repellant is highly recommended during the warmer months.
- When calling Recreation.gov (877-444-6777) to make a reservation for Canaveral National Seashore's backcountry island campsites, please select option #2 to apply for a permit.
Printing Your Reservation Permit
- You may print your permit 14 days before your reservation date and cannot make changes to the permit once you have printed it. You must print out enough copies of your permit to have one with you on the island for your group, and one on the dash in each vehicle associated with your group. This Backcountry Camping permit does not include the entrance fee for the park.
Don't Move Firewood:
- Help protect our forests! Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. Moving firewood is illegal in some states. Visit dontmovefirewood.org to learn more.
- Firewood is not available at the campsites. Please purchase firewood locally and bring it with you and/or bring your own cook stove. Be aware of special restrictions concerning open fires. Ask a ranger about the current fire danger conditions upon arrival.
Canaveral National Seashore
7611 South Atlantic Ave.
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169
386.428.3384 ext. 0